Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

For Learners

Am I eligible for a traineeship?
To be eligible to commence a traineeship, a participant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time within a service (minimum 15 hours). The participant must have the cooperation of their employer, an accredited RTO (like METS) and an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

How do I find a traineeship?
Finding a traineeship is similar to finding any job. You’ll need to network with employers and job recruitment agencies and market yourself within your chosen sector.

I am not eligible for a traineeship. Can I still complete the qualification?
If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their employment status (casual, part-time working under 15 hours etc.), they can still complete the course as a Fee for Service Student.
If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their residency status, they can in some cases still complete the qualification Self-Funded, however Visa Restrictions do apply. It is best to speak to your immigration officer and/or METS regarding your eligibility.

What is Self-Funded training?
Self-Funded training is a delivery method where the participant studies via correspondence, purchasing their units as they go. Self-Funded courses have no face to face study time. 

What is the difference between a New Entrant Trainee and an Existing Worker Trainee?
A New Entrant Trainee is any participant who has begun/will begin their traineeship within 3 months of full time employment or 12 months of part time employment with their service. The NSW state Government funds METS for these traineeships and therefore the only cost incurred to the participant /employer is the enrolment fee. Concessions do apply and incentives are available to eligible employers.
An Existing Worker Trainee is any participant who has begun/will begin their traineeship after 3 months of full time employment or 12 months of part time employment with their service. Unlike New Entrant Traineeships, the NSW State Government does not fund METS for Existing Worker Traineeships and therefore METS must invoice the employer to cover the training costs. In most cases the incentives the employer receives from the Commonwealth Government will offset these costs.

I’ve had my sign up with METS and have been visited by my Australian Apprenticeship Centre, why haven’t I had my induction yet?
More often than not, the simple reason you haven’t been inducted is because your enrolment fee is still outstanding. The quicker you make at least a 50% payment of your full fee (or full payment of concession enrolment), the quicker you will be assigned a trainer and begin your study. Other outstanding information can also be attributed to you not being inducted (proof of concession, certified photo ID etc.). METS will contact you regarding these matters, however if you have any concerns, please contact a METS team member on 02 9838 0567.

What kind of assessments will I be completing?
Depending on the unit of study, you will complete both theory and practical based assessments to achieve competency in your qualification. Your written work will consist of short answer questions only; you will not need to complete any essay questions.

As a Self-Funded student will I need to complete any practical assessment?
Yes. Depending on the qualification you will need to complete around 6-8 weeks approximately of practical work. You will need the cooperation of a service and this can be done volunteer. This allows us to sign off on your on the job skills as well as your written work.

I have received a Not Yet Competent for one of my units. Does this means I have failed?
Not at all! A Not Yet Competent means just that; that you still need a little extra work to achieve competency. Your trainer will contact you regarding any issues and will work with you to develop your understanding and in turn achieve competency.

As a trainee, will I get paid time at work to complete my assessments & learning?
Yes. You should be withdrawn from routine work duties, with pay, for a minimum of 3 hours per week for the purpose of undertaking formal training/learning/assessment activities*. A trainee should contact METS if they have any concerns regarding this time on 02 9838 0567. (*Extracted from NSW Apprenticeship/Traineeship – Training Plan as per NSW DEC State Training Services regulations.)

How do I apply for a travel concession card?
When your New Entrant Traineeship is registered with State Training, you will receive a letter stating your TCID number. With this number you can fill in the Travel Concession form found here: and forward it to the address stated at the bottom. Unfortunately Existing Worker Trainees are not eligible to receive a travel concession card.  METS can not provide you with your TCID number. For any enquiries contact State Training on 13 28 11.

Can I change my employer once I have begun my traineeship?
Yes, however your training contract will need to be amended by your Australian Apprenticeship Centre and incentives will need to be cancelled. METS will need to be notified of the change to discontinue training with your previous employer. In the case that training will not recommence with METS, the participant will be issued with a statement of attainment for the units completed which can be used for credit transfer upon beginning their new traineeship.

I would like to cancel my traineeship. What should happen from here?
Both you and your employer should be in agreement regarding the cancellation of your traineeship. One or both parties can then contact METS to notify of the cancellation. METS will inform the Australian Apprenticeship Centre and forms will be sent to the employer to be signed and sent back. If you have received any competencies in your qualification, you will be issued with a statement of attainment which can be used for credit transfer if training recommences. Unfortunately the enrolment fee is non-refundable if training has commenced.

I completed my traineeship. Why haven’t I received my certificate?
You should allow up to 6 weeks for your certificate to arrive in the mail. However if you have an outstanding enrolment fee or unsigned forms, this can attribute to your certificate being withheld. METS will do all they can to contact you regarding these issues, however please feel free to contact a METS team member on 02 9838 0567 if you have any concerns.

I have been at my service for over a year, full time, completing my Cert III traineeship. Does this mean I will be considered an Existing Worker if I roll over to Diploma Training?
No. You will have 3 months from the time of your Certificate III completion to roll over to a Diploma traineeship to still be considered as New Entrant. You will need to complete the traineeship as an Existing Worker if you don’t enrol within this 3 month time frame.

As a Self-Funded student, who will mark my work and how will I know if I am competent?
A qualified METS trainer will mark all of your assessments and will notify you of your competencies via email or phone. All assessments being sent via mail should be sent to PO BOX 346 Plumpton NSW 2761.

Can I contact somebody else for advice if my trainer is busy?
Absolutely! Just call METS on 02 9838 0567 between 9-5 Monday to Friday to speak to one of our qualified trainers on our help-desk.

Can I suspend my traineeship if I am sick or need to travel overseas?
Yes. However you will need to contact your Australian Apprenticeship Centre and State Training to have your training plan amended. METS will be notified of the suspension and will discontinue training until your traineeship recommences.

Can I extend by traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?
Yes. Under certain circumstances your traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as early as possible for the most favourable outcome. You should speak to METS and/or your Australian Apprenticeship Centre if you are considering applying for an extension.

I’m having problems with my employer. Who do I contact?
If you are having problems with your employer, you should contact the Industrial Relations help line on 131 628 or State Training on 13 28 11.

I have been working in the sector for over 5 years without receiving a formal qualification. Can this experience be used towards a qualification?
In most cases, yes. You could undergo the process of Recognition of Prior Learning to obtain a qualification. It is best to speak to a METS representative regarding eligibility and pricing or click here for further information. 
Am I eligible for a refund if my circumstances change?
METS refunds policy can be found here
Last Modified: 20/05/2019 3:26 PM